Thursday, March 5, 2009

Potato Soup

So... I successfully made potato soup this weekend. Hey now, don't all gasp in shock and faint away at once! I assure you no one was more surprised than Justin and the kids. I've really missed cooking lately, I can tell you that.

I combined a delicious recipe that I got from my friend Nikki with one that I found online. I think it turned out great and it was a big hit with the whole family, so I thought I'd share the recipe.


INGREDIENTS
6 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced carrots
5 cube chicken bouillon
4 cups water
1 tbs dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pinch ground black pepper
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
2 cups chopped ham (or hamburger)

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot, add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken bouillon, water, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper and simmer until vegetables become tender (approx 45-60 minutes. Carrots take the longest.)

When veggies are tender, in a separate bowl mix flour and milk. Once it is well blended, add to soup mixture and cook until soup becomes thick (approx 5-7 minutes).

Stir in cheese, cooked ham or hamburger and simmer until cheese is melted.

*Add more salt if needed, but remember that with leftovers, the salt will have had a chance to leak out of the ham, so be careful you don't overdo it!