Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chocolate Cake


For many years I have said "I cook, I don't bake." Well, that sad, goodie-free time of my life is over!

I got this easy, delicious recipe for chocolate cake from my friend Laney and used a frosting recipe that I've had in my files. It makes a yummy combination! It was pretty funny to see me wandering up and down the grocery aisle searching for such exotic items as "cocoa powder" and "shortening".

Now if I could just be brave enough to attempt chocolate chip cookies...

Mommy: Kinley, I made this cake from scratch.

Kinley: You mean from a box?

Mommy: No, from scratch means without a box.

Kinley: Oh, I see. Like... from a box.

Mommy: Sigh...

Chocolate Cake
2 C sugar
3/4 C shortening
3 eggs
1C buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 C warm water

Mix together - Bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 350 for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comeo out clean.

Frosting
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat together, spread over cake.

Who wouldn't give a beater to this face?