Sunday, December 2, 2007

Thanksgiving Dressing

I love dressing. I love making dressing. I love eating it. I love improving (at least in my own mind) the dressing recipe from year to year. The following was this year's Thanksgiving stuffing.

Ingredients
2 loaves bread (I used Granny's)
4 cups diced celery
2 cups diced onion
½ cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 and 1/2 cups evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons rubbed sage
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 ½ cups dried cranberries (craisins, on 12 oz bag)
3 cups peeled, chopped apples


Directions
Break bread into small pieces and allow to dry out, overnight is preferable.

Simmer onions and celery in saucepan with butter and broth until tender. Remove from heat, add evaporated milk, salt, and dried cranberries. Allow to cool. When mixture has cooled (about room temperature or so), beat eggs and add them to mixture. Add apples to mixture.

When bread is dry, add sage and poultry seasoning, toss to mix well in a large bowl. Slowly add wet mixture to bread and mix gently until well moistened.

Pile high in the largest pan you’ve got, cover with foil and bake for APPROXIMATELY 90 minutes on 350. Remove the cover for the final 30 minutes. Serve warm.

If you bake it in two 9 x 13 pans, change cooking time to 60 minutes, removing cover for final 15 minutes.

It turned out great! At least I think so :)